Fears ancient city used in The Exorcist could be destroyed by ISIS fighters after they take control of territory
- Hatra complex is Unesco world heritage site featuring 200ft-high temples
- Now stands in territory claimed by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant
- There are fears stone statues within area could be destroyed by jihadists
- 20 Iraqi police officers were guarding area but left after it fell to militants
- Archaeological dig in 1973 horror film The Exorcist was filmed at Hatra
Islamic militants in Iraq have taken over an ancient city which featured in The Exorcist film, it has emerged.
The Hatra complex, a Unesco world heritage site which features 200ft-high temples, now stands in territory claimed by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isis) group.
There are fears the stone statues within the area could be destroyed…
View original post 641 more words